Wednesday 19 March 2008

Screenshots



Here's a nice page I just found:
http://www.morganleahrecords.com/mooglecharm/programs.html

I tried to get into trackers a few times but always gave up almost straight away. I stuck with Player Pro for a week or two one time, mainly because I spent 80 dollars on it, but that was all. I thought I would be into the concept of music represented as a load of numbers, since I got started using the MC-50 which is entirely number oriented, and on a miniscule 2 x 16 character display too. Then again, maybe that's the point. The less information your eyes are confronted with, the more you store in your head, and music isn't meant to be seen after all. So it's up to me to make my ideal tracker with something like 8 numbers on display at any one time instead of 800.
Anyway I found these screenshots inspiring, and they're not all trackers, some interfaces look totally bizarre. They all contain links to the programs shown, which is a useful resource if you're into these things. I shall be duly mining these links for inspiration.

P.S. on the subject of bizarre music software, try using Mammut for five minutes without feeling dizzy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, are you into the SID sound at all? Check out http://www.mssiah.com/ - real music apps with MIDI support running on a Commodore 64, as opposed to a SID box hooked up to a modern computer.
I'd love to hear what you could do with it (when it's released.)

cylob said...

hi fr4nk, yes i saw that and the screenshots of prophet64, that whole project looks like a work of art. there are some sid emulation oscillators in supercollider (along with some ataris and about 4 or 5 other chips) so if i want that sound i just use one of those.